Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Thoughts about the Top 12 AI Boys

Wow, that really sucked, huh? There wasn't one memorable performance on American Idol last night. There were a couple of good performances and a lot of not too bad performances, but we were also treated to some absolutely wretched singing.


Let's talk about the good first. The two best performances of the night were Phil and Blake.


Phil started very rough, but by the end of the song ("I Could Not Ask for More") he had it under control. I wish to god he had some hair though. He's difficult to watch for any length of time. I think he ought to make hats a permanent part of his wardrobe each week.

You might remember Blake as the beat boxer. Turns out he can sing too. He was Sharon's favorite. I like the pure tone of his voice and that he didn't add any crazy embellishments to her performance. He just stood and sung the words with emotion.

Now those two were the best of the night, but they weren't amazing. Both had decent performances, but neither was unforgettable like Constantine's rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody from season four. But both were much better than everyone else last night.

I will give props to Chris Sligh for a decent if not excellent performance. But he loses some points for the stupid digs at Simon. Chris, take the criticism like a man and sing better next time.

And now the truly horrible...

This boy is the poster child for the Raise the Age Limit campaign.


His name is Sanjaya and he's got a great voice. But he's just too young and lacks the maturity to go all the way. Every year there are teenagers in the competition and every year they fail to get very far. Sanjaya's performance last night was so boring I fell asleep. Well, I wish I could have fallen asleep.

Then there's this idiot:



His name is Paul Kim and he's decided his "thing" is to go barefoot every week. If he makes it through, which would be a surprise, I think he better buy some shoes. Trying to invent something memorable about yourself doesn't work. Let it happen naturally.

Everyone else was pretty forgettable. I hope the women are better. Check 'em out tonight!


3 comments:

Dweeze said...

It was the first time I had heard any of them, and boy was I underwhelmed.

Matt said...

Yeah, I can't remember a worse first night.

Have you heard about the cowboy from last year who's trying to be the Lost Idol? Posting a performance on his myspace and asking people to vote for him?

Buggy said...

They were all completely forgettable. I was pissed that Fox gave us 2 hours of that crap, and no House.
I turned to Law and Order as soon as I realized there was another hour of AI

( Nice place ya'll got here)